Click on the links below to jump to each section:
- How We Collect and Use Information
- Sharing of Your Information
- Third Party Tracking and Online Advertising
- How We Store and Protect Your Information
- Your Choices about Your Information
- Children’s Privacy
- Links to Other Websites and Services
- How to Contact Us
1. How We Collect and Use Information
We collect the following types of information about you and use them as described below:
Information you provide us directly. We ask for certain information such as your first and last name, address, phone number, e-mail address, information about your home or business, and utility account information when you register for an Inspire account, or if you correspond with us. Please note that this information may be transmitted to us if you enter it into our online registration form, even if you do not complete the registration process (e.g. even if you do not click a submission button). We may also retain any messages you send through the Services, photos and videos you post to the Service, and any content you provide through in-app messages, chat, or other functionality (“User Content”). To share photos and video, we will access your device camera roll and camera with your permission. If you need to update your permissions, you can do so in the "Settings" app of your device. Please remember that we may, but we have no obligation to, monitor, record, and store User Content in order to protect your safety or the safety of other users, to assist with regulatory or law enforcement efforts, or to protect and defend our rights and property. By using the Services, you consent to the recording, storage and disclosure of such communications you send or receive for these purposes. We use this information to operate, maintain, and provide to you the features and functionality of the Services, as well as to communicate directly with you, such as to send you email messages. We may also send you Services-related emails or messages (e.g., account verification, change or updates to features of the Services, technical and security notices). For more information about your communication preferences, see “Your Choices About Your Information” below.
Information we receive from third-party sites or services you connect to our Services. We may receive personal information about you from third parties you connect to our Services and may combine that with information we collect through our Services. For example, we may obtain information when you log in through a third-party social network or authentication service, such as Facebook or Google. These services will authenticate your identity and provide you the option to share certain personal information with us, which could include your name, email address, date of birth, age, address book and contacts, or other information. Similarly, when you interact with us through a social media site or third-party service, such as when you like, follow or share Inspire content on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram or other sites, we may receive information from the social network including your profile information, picture, user ID associated with your social media account, and any other information you permit the social network to share with third parties. The data we receive from these third-party sites is dependent upon that third party's policies and your privacy settings on that third-party site. You should always review, and if necessary, adjust your privacy settings on third-party websites and services before linking or connecting them to our Services.
Location Information. We collect information about your location through GPS, WiFi, wireless network triangulation or other method in order to obtain your location for the purposes of providing our Service. We may also approximate your location by your IP Address.
Information from third-party sources. We collect information from private and governmental third-party data sources, such as the United States Environmental Protection Agency, real estate listings, and city property databases. This information may relate to your city or community generally, or to your property specifically. For example, we may collect information about historical energy consumption on your property or in your area as well as and characteristics about your home and property that is publicly available through services like Zillow. We use this information to better understand your energy usage and offer insights into how you can reduce your consumption or change your consumption to reduce your environmental impact.
Information about your energy consumption. With your consent, we may ask your utility provider to release certain information that we need to provide services to you, such as your address, phone number, account number, future and historical energy consumption, meter readings, payment history, billing determinates, rate classifications, and peak electricity demand. We use this information to provide our Services to you, to calculate and analyze aggregate energy consumption metrics, to track and improve our products and Services, to connect you with providers in your area, to share and display third party offers that may be of interest to you, and otherwise product you Services. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to better understand, correct, or otherwise discuss the energy consumption information we have received from your utility provider.
We, and our third-party partners, automatically collect certain types of usage information when you use our websites or mobile apps, read our emails, or otherwise engage with us. We typically collect this information through a variety of tracking technologies, including cookies, web beacons, embedded scripts, location-identifying technologies, file information and similar technology (collectively, “tracking technologies”). For example, we collect information about your device and its software, such as your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, platform type, device type, operating system, date and time stamp, a unique ID that allows us to uniquely identify your browser, mobile device or your account, and other such information. We also collect information about the way you use our Services, for example, the site from which you came and the site to which you are going when you leave our website, the pages you visit, the links you click, how frequently you access the Services, whether you open emails or click the links contained in emails, whether you access the Services from multiple devices, and other actions you take on the Services. When you access our Services from a mobile device, we may collect unique identification numbers associated with your device or our mobile application (including, for example, a UDID, Unique ID for Advertisers (“IDFA”), Google AdID, or Windows Advertising ID), mobile carrier, device type, model and manufacturer, mobile device operating system brand and model, phone number, and depending on your mobile device settings, your geographical location data, including GPS coordinates (e.g., latitude and/or longitude) or similar information regarding the location of your mobile device, or we may be able to approximate a device’s location by analyzing other information, like an IP address. We may collect analytics data, or use third-party analytics tools such as Google Analytics, to help us measure traffic and usage trends for the Services and to understand more about the demographics of our users. You can learn more about Google’s practices at http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners, and view its currently available opt-out options at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. We may also work with third-party partners to employ technologies, including the application of statistical modeling tools, which permit us to recognize and contact you across multiple devices. Although we do our best to honor the privacy preferences of our users, we are unable to respond to Do Not Track signals set by your browser at this time.
We use or may use the data collected through cookies, log files, device identifiers, location data and clear gifs information to: (a) remember information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the site; (b) provide custom, personalized content and information, including targeted advertising; (c) identify and contact you across multiple devices; (d) provide and monitor the effectiveness of our Services; (e) monitor aggregate metrics such as total number of visitors, traffic, usage, and demographic patterns on our Services; (f) diagnose or fix technology problems; and (g) otherwise to plan for and enhance our Services.
If you would prefer not to accept cookies, most browsers will allow you to: (i) change your browser settings to notify you when you receive a cookie, which lets you choose whether or not to accept it; (ii) disable existing cookies; or (iii) set your browser to automatically reject cookies. Please note that doing so may negatively impact your experience using the Services, as some features and services on our Services may not work properly. Depending on your mobile device and operating system, you may not be able to delete or block all cookies. You may also set your e-mail options to prevent the automatic downloading of images that may contain technologies that would allow us to know whether you have accessed our e-mail and performed certain functions with it.
3. Sharing of Your Information
We may share your personal information in the instances described below. For further information on your choices regarding your information, see the “Your Choices About Your Information” section below.
- Other users of the Services with your consent. For example, if you authorize another user to share access to your account information (for example, a spouse or other individual who lives in your household), the authorized user will have access to all of the information in your account. Please exercise caution before providing access to your account to another individual;
- Third-party affiliates or partners who may have offers or services you may be interested in. Please contact us at email@example.com if you would like to opt-out of having your information shared with third parties for their direct marketing purposes;
- The public when you provide feedback or user content on our Services. For example, if you post user content on our blog or comment on our social media sites, your information, such as your first name, last initial, state of residence, and your comments, may be displayed on our website or on our social media pages;
- Third-party vendors, consultants and other service providers that perform services on our behalf, in order to carry out their work for us, facilitate transactions, which may include identifying and serving targeted advertisements, demand response programs to determine how we can make adjustments to your Smart Devices, energy efficiency programs to determine how we can help you to reduce your energy consumption, content or service fulfillment, or providing analytics services;
- Other brands owned or controlled by Inspire, and other companies owned by or under common ownership as Inspire, which also includes our subsidiaries (i.e., any organization we own or control) or our ultimate holding company (i.e., any organization that owns or controls us) and any subsidiary it owns. See also the subsection entitled “Commercial and marketing communications” under the heading “Your Choices About Your Information” for more information on how we may use your information for marketing and promotional purposes;
- Third parties if we buy or sell/divest/transfer the company (including any shares in Inspire), or any combination of its products, services, assets and/or businesses. Your information such as customer names and email addresses, and other user information related to the Services may be among the items sold or otherwise transferred in these types of transactions. We may also sell, assign or otherwise transfer such information in the course of corporate divestitures, mergers, acquisitions, bankruptcies, dissolutions, reorganizations, liquidations, similar transactions or proceedings involving all or a portion of Inspire; and
We may also aggregate or otherwise strip data of all personally identifying characteristics and may share that aggregated, anonymized data with third parties.
4. Third Party Tracking and Online Advertising
As noted above, depending on your browser or mobile device, you may be able set your browser to delete or notify you of cookies and other tracking technology by actively managing the settings on your browser or mobile device. You may also be able to limit interest-based advertising through the settings on your mobile device by selecting “limit ad tracking” (iOS) or “opt-out of interest based ads” (Android). To learn more about interest-based advertising and how you may be able to opt-out of some of this advertising, you may wish to visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s (NAI) online resources, at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices, and/or the Digital Advertising Alliance’s (DAA) resources at www.aboutads.info/choices. Some of these opt-outs may not be effective unless your browser is set to accept cookies. Furthermore, if you use a different device, change browsers or delete the opt-out cookie, you may need to perform the opt-out task again. You may also be able to opt-out of some – but not all – interest-based ads served by mobile ad networks by visiting http://youradchoices.com/appchoices and downloading the mobile AppChoices app.
Google Analytics and Advertising. We use Google Analytics to recognize you and link the devices you use when you visit our Services on your browser or mobile device, login to your account on our Service, or otherwise engage with us. Google Analytics allows us to better understand how our users interact with our Services and to tailor our content to you. For information on how Google Analytics collects and processes data, as well as how you can control information sent to Google, review Google's site “How Google uses data when you use our partners' sites or apps” located at www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. You can learn about Google Analytics’ currently available opt-outs, including the Google Analytics Browser Add-On at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/.
We may also utilize certain forms of display advertising and other advanced features through Google Analytics, such as Remarketing with Google Analytics, Google Display Network Impression Reporting, the DoubleClick Campaign Manager Integration, and Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting. These features enable us to use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick advertising cookie) or other third-party cookies together to inform, optimize, and display ads based on your past visits to the Services. You may control your advertising preferences or opt-out of certain Google advertising products by visiting the Google Ads Preferences Manager, currently available at https://google.com/ads/preferences or by visiting NAI's online resources at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices.
5. How We Store and Protect Your Information
Keeping your information safe. Inspire cares about the security of your information, and uses commercially reasonable safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of all information collected through the Services. If we provide you with features that allow you to manage your account online, you are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your unique password and account information, and for controlling access to your email communications from Inspire, at all times. However, Inspire cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to Inspire or guarantee that information on the Services may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed. Inspire is not responsible for the functionality or security measures of any Smart Devices or third-party product or service you use or access.
Compromise of information. In the event that any information under our control is compromised as a result of a breach of security, Inspire will take reasonable steps to investigate the situation and where appropriate, notify those individuals whose information may have been compromised and take other steps, in accordance with any applicable laws and regulations.
6. Your Choices about Your Information
You control your account information and settings. You may update your account information and email communication preferences at any time by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about reviewing or modifying your account information, you can contact us directly at email@example.com.
Commercial and marketing communications. We use the information we collect or receive to communicate directly with you.
- We may email you with promotions, special offers, and other information regarding the Services. You can stop receiving promotional email communications from us by clicking on the “unsubscribe link” provided in such communications. We make every effort to promptly process all unsubscribe requests. You may not opt out of Services-related communications (e.g., account verification, purchase and billing confirmations and reminders, changes/updates to features of the Services and/or services, technical and security notices).
- With your consent, we may contact you by phone at the number you provide with promotions, special offers and other information. If you no longer wish to receive phone calls, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We may also share your information with third-party affiliates or partners who may have offers or services you may be interested in. Please contact us at email@example.com if you would like to opt-out of having your information shared with third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
Access to your device information. You may control the Services’ access to your device information through your “Settings” app on your device. For instance, you can withdraw permission for the app to access your location, photo stream, and camera.
Modifying or deleting your information. If you have any questions about reviewing, modifying, or deleting your information, you can contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. We may not be able to modify or delete your information in all circumstances. To stop Inspire’s collection of Smart Device Information from your Smart Devices, you must disconnect the Smart Devices from the Services. Depending on the Smart Device, you may be able to control the Smart Device Information we collect through the Smart Device settings.
How long we keep your information. Following termination or deactivation of your account, Inspire may retain your information for a commercially reasonable time for backup, archival, or audit purposes. We may retain your anonymized or aggregated information and content in perpetuity after deleting all personally identifiable data.
7. Children’s Privacy
Inspire does not knowingly collect or solicit any information from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register as Users. The Services and its content are not directed at children under the age of 13. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at email@example.com, so that we may delete that information.
8. Links to Other Websites and Services
9. How to Contact Us